Week of 7/12-7/16 Internship blog

Well, it is now over halfway through July, and we are entering the last few weeks of my internship. We have spent this week getting ready to put up the Winter Garden at the Movies exhibit. We have gotten all the items that we might use out of the archive. We still need to decide which movie posters to use, as there are quite a few archived, but most of them are distasteful in one way or another so we have narrowed it down to a couple of different ones. All that is left is to get signs and images printed, and to set it all up. It is a scary thought that the exhibit will soon be displayed to the public, but also exciting. I have put a lot of thought and work into it and so I will be glad to see it finished. 

In addition, this Friday my supervisor took me on a tour of the area. Up until that point I had only known important places in West Orange County from what I had read or seen in the archive. It was fun and interesting to see in person all that I had written about. We explored Winter Garden, Beulah, Oakland, Killarney and more.  There is a lot more history contained in this area than one would expect. Many towns of this size would let their older areas decay and let their story be forgotten. But here, while this force still exists, it is not nearly as extreme as in some places. The unique story of West Orange County should continue to be protected and cherished.  

I am sad that I am entering the final stretch of my internship. I have had a lot of fun finding info in the archive and recording what I have found. But, I think the last few weeks may be the most fun because all my work so far will begin to pay off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week of 7/19-7/23 Internship blog

Week of 6/07-6/11 Internship blog