Final Blog Post: Week of 8/02-8/06

 Well, I have now completed my last week as an intern. This internship has been a wonderful experience for me professionally, academically, as well as being a blast. Professionally, I learned about the operation of an archive, and museum writing. Academically, I learned about the history of West Orange County, and Florida in general. It was fun simply because I love history and being able to get into the meat and potatoes of it was amazing. I plan to work with history throughout my life, and in many ways this was the first step as it was the first time I have applied historical knowledge outside of the classroom. While I'm sad that this exceptional experience is now ending, I am excited to see what my future in Public History holds.

The Winter Garden Heritage Foundation was the perfect place to intern, in my opinion. Everyone involved with the foundation was kind, knowledgeable and passionate about their town. My supervisor, Jim Crescitelli was always there to answer any questions I had about history, or about the archive. The atmosphere in the foundation is simultaneously laid-back and serious. Members of the Foundation, and many Winter Gardeners generally, love the feel of Winter Garden and operate on that sort-of "go with the flow" small town wavelength, but they are also serious about the heritage of their town and work constantly to protect it. I would encourage any future interns to inquire about interning at the foundation, as it is a great time and you will be welcomed with open arms.

The foundation was very welcoming to me, and others who wish to aid in their mission. As I worked in the foundation many locals would come in to donate items, research family history, or learn about their town. In a way, learning about local history is in itself contributing to it. Winter Garden is a town that is growing very fast, and surprisingly, many of the new residents who hail from all over the country are excited about learning the local history. Of course these new residents will bring with them cultural traits from their homeland, but if they take the time to learn history they can preserve the essence of Old Winter Garden.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week of 7/19-7/23 Internship blog

Week of 6/07-6/11 Internship blog

Week of 7/12-7/16 Internship blog