Week of 6/14-6/18 Internship blog

It has been another great week at the Heritage Foundation. As mentioned last week, I finished the captions for the movie theater exhibit and submitted them to my supervisor. As such, almost all of my effort this week has been focused on Winter Garden at Work. My progress in that exhibit is now just about on par with the theater exhibit. 

When doing research I have used multiple tools at my disposal at the foundation. Firstly, there is the archive. There is quite a wealth of knowledge located in the archive in the form of objects, books, newspaper clippings, and photos, among other things. Everything is labeled and organized. For instance, there are filing cabinets with material about families. If one wanted to find information about someone with the name "McCoy" they would find the cabinet labeled "Family Files - L-Mc" and inside they would find file folders alphabetized according to family name. The McCoy folder would contain photos that are confirmed to be of someone in the McCoy family as well as newspaper clippings, documents, or other writings that mention the family or a member of it. There are cabinets for businesses, churches, families, citrus, and more. In the filing cabinets I have found good factual information in things like legal or fiscal documents, while newspaper clippings have been a good source for the type of stories that are great to tell in a setting such as the Heritage Museum.

To browse through archived photos and objects, rather than manually going through each one, I use database software called PastPerfect. I briefly mentioned this program in my first blog, but I did not really explain it. One can search according to description, which is similar to searching on the internet, or one could search according to object number, type of item, and more. Almost all of the photos and objects have been catalogued in the database and so it has been very useful in my work.

Next week, I am looking forward to finishing up the captions for Winter Garden at Work, and then I will finalize the curation of objects for both exhibits and plan out the layout.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week of 7/19-7/23 Internship blog

Week of 6/07-6/11 Internship blog

Week of 7/12-7/16 Internship blog