Week of 5/24-5/28 Internship blog

This week I took a lot of the general information I had compiled over the last week and focused it down. Despite Winter Garden being a somewhat small town there is still quite a wealth of knowledge about the people and places that I'm researching. For my movie theater project I have begun to write up captions that will appear with the objects and photos in the exhibit. While researching the theater project I have encountered a few conflicting sources and it has been interesting and rewarding to attempt to solve these incongruities through further research.

For the other exhibit I have been working on, Winter Garden at Work, my supervisor and I decided that we would dedicate around half of the exhibit to citrus packing and growing since that was a very large industry in and around Winter Garden for much of its history. I began looking into the history of citrus around Lake Apopka and have gathered a lot of information about the first citrus farmers and how that industry has evolved, along with important events such as freezes. Other than citrus, I have gathered a modest amount of information about the first businesses and stores in Winter Garden. Additionally, with some pointers from my supervisor I found photographs of working people doing various jobs that will be perfect to put on display. Next week, I will organize my citrus information so I can begin writing captions for the exhibit and begin more in depth research into other industries such as railroads or banks.

Finally, I have begun to help with social media for the foundation. I am running a Twitter account and the first thing I have done was use it to advertise an interview the foundation conducted with a high school football coach. I have some ideas on how to grow the twitter account and am looking forward to putting them into practice next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week of 7/19-7/23 Internship blog

Week of 6/07-6/11 Internship blog

Week of 7/12-7/16 Internship blog